Agenda and minutes

Leicestershire Local Access Forum - Wednesday, 10 May 2023 2.00 pm

Venue: County Hall, Glenfield.

No. Item


Welcome and Introductions


CF welcomed everyone to the meeting and introductions were made outlining interests represented.  CF welcomed Michael Miller and in their absence Mike Bates and George Keeping onto the Forum.  Both MM and MB representing an interest in Field Workers/Walkers and GK in footpaths in general.  It was noted that MM, GK and MB were current active members of the Unrecorded Ways Group and it had been agreed at an earlier working group to suggest they be accepted as Members of the Forum to ease their involvements.


VA stated that the Countryside Code should be considered as an agenda item as outlined in the regulations for the Forum.  It was agreed to put this on the agenda when more information was available.


The Forum noted the Leicestershire Rights of Way Improvement Plan required updating as had been the case since 2016.  EM would be updating the plan this year and would be asking for the Forum’s input into the plan.  It was agreed to have the Improvement Plan as an agenda item at the October meeting.



Apologies for Absence


Apologies were received from Ms Alex Pyper, Mr John Howells, Mr Brian Sutton, Mr George Keeping and Mr Mike Bates.



Declarations of interest.


The members confirmed that there were no declarations of interest.



Minutes of the previous meeting. pdf icon PDF 175 KB


The minutes of the meeting held on 9 February 2023 were agreed.


Matters Arising


Item 4 - Further Recruitment

The meeting to discuss recruitment was still to take place.  It was agreed CF would contact EM to arrange a meeting to look at further recruitment.  It was noted that information on how to apply to join the LLAF was available on the LCC website and any further information on recruitment would be incorporated onto the website going forward.


Item 10 -  Public Transport

It was noted there was no further update on this item.


Item 10 – Generic Inbox

LLAF generic inbox address to be added to these minutes.



De-regulation Update


The Forum noted that the Secretary of State had decided to re-commence the cut-off date instead of setting it aside.  The Government proposed to delay the cut-off date for adding unrecorded rights of way to the Definitive Map, to 1 January 2031.  The cut-off date for historic claims to be added to the Definitive Map was 1 January 2026 although provision was included for it to be up to 1 January 2031.


RD asked if the guidance notes for local authorities in terms of the Rights of Way (Circular 1/09) had been updated.  EM stated the current version was published in October 2009 but he was unaware of any updates currently.


The Deregulation Act will take effect once the regulations and guidance have been completed.  However, there was no date for this as yet.  EM explained that once the Act takes effect it makes the local authority more accountable when an application for a route is submitted in terms of acting on a claim within a certain period of time; the claimant can seek a court order directing it to the Act if an interim determination has not been made within 3 months.  (This may be extended to 6 months).




Motorised Sports Issues


The Forum discussed a potential new member for issues regarding motorised sports.  Bernard Vincent currently volunteers in the highways Melton area engaging with Parish Councils, landowners and LCC.  EM to follow this this up.



BHS Routes Status Project Report


VA gave an update on the project.  The BHS have put considerable effort in research routes that they think may be lost. Just in Leicestershire 125 claims have been submitted. A proportion of these are minor unclassified highways.



Unrecorded Ways Project Report


RD highlighted the next working group would look at the suggested priorities we have against those offered for the interactive map.  Next meeting we would project said map and work through it together. A template for claims was provided by PL and when and if volunteers start preparing claims this, possibly adjusted, template can be tailored to this.


It was noted the next working groups were 21 June, 7 September, and 29 November all at 2.00 pm. 



Charnwood Forest Regional GeoPark Resort


RD gave the Forum an update and stated that most of the projects within the Landscape Partnership scheme are on schedule and are being well received.


RD had been working on updating the map in order for it to be commercially produced and had added 4 permissive paths and would add the new paths to go in at Broombriggs and on Breakback Road.  RD outlined the next steps in terms of working on the text.  The map and guide were being part funded by grant from the scheme.



Planning Issues


Hinckley Rail Freight Interchange

The application was currently with the Planning Inspectorate.  Comments have been submitted for the proposal but at present there was no further update.


Glenfield Neighbourhood Plan

RD reported this was now with the Planning Inspectorate.  Comments were made on behalf of the Forum which reflect the views of the residents.


MML Electrification

EM updated the Forum on the current bridge work in the areas of Kibworth Harcourt and Beauchamp and the concerns locally.  Discussion took place around the users of the bridges as they need to be accessible for all.  CF agreed to look further into the criteria for the footpaths and access and report back at the next meeting.



Orders update. pdf icon PDF 87 KB

Additional documents:


PL previously circulated a report and appendices to Forum Members on the current position with regard to various Public Path and Modification Orders since the last such report in April 2019.  PL said that if Forum Members required greater detail to let him know.


CF asked the Forum how often they wished to receive this information and in what detail.  The Forum agreed that the information was still current before the meeting and if further detail was required to highlight this and bring to the meeting.



Any other items which the Chairperson has decided to take as urgent.


The Forum discussed the closure of Albert Village lake due to the outbreak of avian flu.



Date of next meeting.

The next meeting of the Leicestershire Local Access Forum will take place on…


The next meeting of LLAF had previously been agreed as Thursday 5 October 2023 at 2.00 pm at County Hall.