The East Midlands Museum Service was founded in 1981, and
incorporated as a company in 1992. It is a registered charity which
serves museums of all types in the East Midlands region, operating in the
historic counties of Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire,
Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire and Rutland. It works closely with the
new single regional agency, East Midlands Museums, Libraries and Archives
The aim of the body is to ensure that museums in the East Midlands
will take a leading part in protecting the region's inheritance for the benefit
of present generations, and as a continuing legacy for the future; in so doing,
they will make an important contribution to the region's educational, social,
cultural and economic life.
It will enhance and improve standards in the care and public
use of the collections in the region's museums by providing advice and support.
· the best standards of care and documentation of museum collections;
· increased use and public enjoyment of museums;
· realisation of the educational potential of museums;
the continuing use of
museums for scholarship and research.
To achieve these objectives it will:
· act as an advocate for museums on policy and strategic issues, and promote awareness of the role of museums in the cultural, social and economic vitality of the region;
· encourage good museum governance;
management of museums, and the effective use of resources.
East Midlands Museum Service
Centre for Museum & Heritage Management
Nottingham Trent University
Clifton Campus, Clifton Lane
Phone: 0115 848 3562
Fax: 0115 848 6385